Sunday, November 20, 2011

A New Idea

I have a new idea for what this blog should be about. Since the end of high school, I've been obsessively interested in cosmology, physics, mathematics, and engineering. Towards the end of my four years in architecture school, I began using more and more of my time to read up on these subjects...and ignoring what I should have been doing (studio work). I couldn't help it. Watching lectures, reading books, and doing physics and calculus was more fun that designing space. Completely personal and without any disrespect to architecture, I simply saw science as something much bigger and more important. It is something that I want to be a part of, a chosen lifestyle of sorts. The difficult part, though, is that in each of these fields (cosmology, physics, mathematics, engineering), the ideas and concepts are so numerous and complex that many times information that I had read about becomes lost or forgotten. I haven't had the opportunity to create any kind of mental filing cabinet to keep all of it together. It also doesn't help that the elusive Theory of Everything is constantly changing, with physicists constantly proposing either new ideas or extensions (or even simplifications) of current theories. So, I've decided to use this blog as a personal filing cabinet, while at the same time sharing it with whomever has the desire to read it.

I've recently applied to engineering school. If I get in, I'll be able to begin discussions regarding engineering in May. If, however, I am rejected for some reason, I will simply reapply at a later time and my journey to becoming an engineer will be temporarily postponed (not ideal). One way or another, I will pursue engineering, even if I am forced to take other routes to get to that starting point.

In the meantime, I will be reading up on and watching about theoretical physics, practical applications, aerospace/mechanical feats, and news on cosmology. Alongside that, I will be teaching myself (or rather, re-teaching myself) calculus, differential equations, and physics...and maybe perhaps chemistry. This blog will serve as my method of regurgitation, where I will be forced to explain the concepts and ideas in such a way that anyone will be able to understand them. I intend to draw a cohesive map for myself in preparation for whatever comes up in the future.

Will this actually happen? For now, yes. But sometimes we get a little busy, haha. We'll see! I'm excited.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Stan. I'm glad about all this, if it makes you happy :) You are a great designer btw. Please don't ever stop sketching at least. I am excited to read what you 'regurgitate'. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lolita! And sketching will always be a way to convey ideas, so I certainly won't stop doing that!

    ReplyDelete